1964 Brabham BT8
|Engine:||2.5 Liter Coventry Climax FPF|
Braham built just 12 of its very successful BT8 sports racing cars. They were driven by some of the racing greats of the mid 1960’s. Denis Hulme, Peter Revson, Jack Brabham, and others. This car was first ordered by Hap Sharp, but when he started driving for Jim Hall, he sold his build contract to Jack Hinkle. Hinkle was never defeated and won the Midwest division SCCA Championship in 1964 and 1965. He won 25 of the 26 races with one DNF. He then sold the car to Bunny Ribbs, the father of Willy T. Ribbs. Then changing hands three times to the following owners: Don Orosco, Milt Jansen, and David Smith before being acquired by the current owner in 1992. The complete ownership is documented from new with statements from each owner. In historic racing, the current owner has campaigned SC-8-64 in 164 races with countless 1st in class wins, including Sears Point five times, Pre-Historics seven times and six wins at Monterey Historics.
A professional frame up restoration was done by Joe Cavaglieri around 1990-1991 from the original car and parts. The original frame from (SC-8-64) was used as a model for (SC-1-65, SC-7-64) which were restored at about the same time.
Maintained by the same owner from 1992 to the present. Under the care of Bob McCormack at Sonoma Raceway, where it has undergone constant race prep and rebuilding as needed. Including down to the bare frame on more than one occasion. Engine rebuilt by Ivan Zaremba of Phil Reilly and Co. Gearbox by Bob McCormack.
• Letter from Jack Hinkle to Milt Janzen
• Article about Jack Hinkle in Road and Track Magazine (April 1972) mentioning the BT8
• Letter from Bunny Ribbs chronicling his first hand story of following the car from new (May 2010)
• Letter from Joe Cavaglieri who restored the car for David Smith stating that it was an original frame, which comes with the car (Nov 1991)
• Letter from David Smith proving the history and ownership of SC-8-64 (Dec 1991)
• Featured in Vintage Motorsport (July/August 1992)
• Cover of Victory Lane Magazine (November 2011)
• Log books
• Engine Dyno sheet
• List of Spares
Of Note: An enormous amount of records showing complete ownership, restoration, photos, and spares.
Spares: Extensive including the original frame.